Golf Canada is excited to share that it is renewing its commitment to improving the overall environmental sustainability of the RBC Canadian Open. Our ultimate goal: to welcome our athletes, attendees and volunteers to the most eco-friendly tournament on the PGA TOUR.
As the organizer of the third oldest continually run event on the PGA TOUR, Golf Canada is no stranger to playing the long game. We recognize this is an ambitious goal, and to that end, we have chosen to work towards this over a multi-year period.
We have set the following hard goals to focus our efforts:
- Become a zero-waste event.
- Become a carbon neutral event.
- Become certified to GEO Foundation’s “GEO Certified” standard.
Golf Canada and the RBC Canadian Open are committed to working with the Green Event Ninjas in order to achieve all sustainability goals at the event.
Examples of sustainable initiatives taken on site consist of:
- Offering all attendees free shuttles to attend the championship through public transit, as well offering on-site bike valet to reduce emissions created by spectator travel.
- Providing refillable water stations in several high traffic locations throughout the property, with the aim of reducing over 50,000 plastic bottles.
- Working with the Green Event Ninjas to handle on-site waste diversion with a goal of diverting 90% of waste from landfill at the championship.
- RBCCO will produce a post event sustainability report highlighting successes as well future plans to improve the events sustainability & reducing its carbon footprint.